Replace your card

There is no general requirement to obtain or carry an i‑card or other university ID. If you don't use your ID, there is no need to replace it.

Always report a missing card immediately!

A new photo is required for every photo ID card issued. However, you may not exchange a card solely for a new photo. Please keep and use your ID for as long as possible—this sustainability practice helps reduce e‑waste.

What it costs to replace or exchange a card

A $20 fee applies when you:

  • Replace a card that is lost or stolen.
  • Exchange a card that is hole-punched, altered, or damaged by misuse.
  • Exchange a card that is not your most recent one.

No fee is charged when you:

  • Exchange a card because of a name change.
  • Exchange a card that is defective or worn from normal use.
  • Trade an expired or outdated card for a new one.

ID Center staff determine whether a new ID is needed. They also decide whether a card is defective, worn, altered, or damaged.

UIC Law students, faculty, and staff must visit the Chicago ID Center to replace an i‑card.

How services update for a new card

When you receive a new card, any connected services you have will work within a few hours or up to overnight. To reconnect a service right away, contact that service provider. For door access permissions, you must contact your building facility manager.

Student i‑cards linked to PNC Bank accounts are relinked overnight. You can also relink your new card by using PNC's Online Banking or visiting a nearby branch. Either method relinks your card in about 10 minutes.

Expiration notice emails

In the month that your University of Illinois ID expires, you may receive an email alerting you to replace it. If you have questions, contact an ID Center.