Name changes

There is no fee to exchange your ID card for a new one as a result of a name change.

Changing your preferred name

Students who would like to use a first name other than their legal name within the campus community can set a preferred first name using Student Self-Service.

After you set your preferred name, you may visit an ID Center to trade in your current University of Illinois ID for a new one. Your last name and preferred first name will print on the front of your card.

Changing your legal name

If your legal name isn't accurate on your University of Illinois ID, correct it first with the appropriate records office, then visit an ID Center.


  1. Update your name on your student record at the registrar's office:
  2. Bring these items to an ID Center:
    • Your current University of Illinois ID (to be exchanged)
    • Another proof of identity that bears your legal name

Faculty, staff, Extra Help, and retirees

  1. Log in to My UI Info, and click on My Profile.
  2. Scroll to view the "Assistance will be needed..." heading and its table.
  3. Follow the instructions for name changes, in the "Name" row. If you need help, contact Human Resources.


Contact an ID Center to ask how to proceed.