Submit your photo online
Many students and employees need an i‐card in order to use services on campus. When you're eligible for an i‐card and you need to show, swipe, or scan it, you may request one from an ID Center.
Every university photo ID must bear a recent, clear photograph of the cardholder. ID Centers can take your photo and print your card when you visit campus, or you may submit your own photo in advance.
Online photo submission is currently open to all eligible employees and students, with some special conditions for new UIUC students.
Who can submit a photo?
Most on-campus students and employees need IDs, so they can submit their ID photos:
- Students. You must be eligible to register for the current or next semester. You must also be taking classes on campus for credit.
- Employees. Your employee status must be active. Your employee group must be that of a faculty and other academics, academic professional, civil service, or post doc(toral) employee.
Who cannot submit a photo online?
Both need and eligibility for a regular, physical i‐card determine who may submit a photo. These groups are currently excluded:
- Non-degree and non-credit students. These students are not formally admitted to a university or program, and so they aren't eligible to receive i‐cards.
- Online degree students. These students aren't on campus, so they don't need an i‐card.
- Other employees and retirees. Extra help workers may only receive IDs at ID Centers—and only when their hiring unit requests one for them. Retired employees and emeriti professors receive special i‐cards, so they too must visit an ID Center.
How SubmitMyPhoto works
Basically, you log in, upload a photo, and submit it for review. Then, you log in again occasionally to monitor the status of your submission.
What to expect
Business first. Submitting a photo doesn't guarantee you an i‐card. Submissions can be rejected for card ineligibility reasons.
If you check the "Email my status updates" option, we use the "preferred" email address that you maintain in Self-Service.
Photo selection. Your i‐card is an official identification: a yearbook photo or Snapchat pic won't do! After three failed attempts to submit an acceptable photo, you will be required to visit an ID Center. You can upload a photo without submitting it, so ask a friend or advisor for a second opinion.
You can also cancel or change a photo any time before it's reviewed. However, once your photo is approved, it cannot be changed.
Review time. Your photo could be one of thousands in a queue, so please be patient. Same- and next-day service is not available. Photos are not reviewed on demand, and i‐cards are not printed on demand.
Card pickup. Wait until the app status reads, "your card is ready for pickup," then visit your ID Center. Bring an accepted proof of identity with you. i‐cards are sometimes mailed to new students. Check with your ID Center for more information.